The holiday season has come and gone. It is now time to turn our attention to properly secure, protect, and insure all our new and valuable gifts. Here are some tips to help you protect your valuables in the new year:
- Designate a safe place: Whether you choose to keep your items safe, lock box, drawer, etc. you should always make sure it is in a safe location in your home. This should be somewhere you can remember and keep track of in your home inventory.
- Don’t broadcast your new items: Avoid posting your valuables on social media. As tempting as it may be, the whole world shouldn’t know about everything you have in your home. This puts you at a higher risk of robbery.
- Make sure your home security systems are up to date: It is important to check your alarm system to make sure it is working properly. Unfortunately, the holiday season is a common time for home robberies. If you do not have a working system, try your best to have it replaced or repaired for the safety of your home, family and belongings.
- Make plans for vacation: Try not to leave your home for long periods of time without making a plan. If you have someone you trust such as a family member or close friend, ask them to drive by or check your home every few days, pick up the mail and turn some lights on or off. Doing so will make your home appear occupied. If you do not trust anyone with your keys to your home, set up some timers for your home lighting and put your mail on hold.
- Keep a watchful eye: During a get together, make sure your eyes and ears are at full capacity. This doesn’t mean you have to follow people all around your home, but you should stay alert and keep track of your guests. Those who live in the household should do the same. If you notice someone has wandered off and has not returned for a period of time, it is best to check up on them to make sure everything is alright.
- Insurance your new valuables: Most homeowners policies offer limited coverage for items such as jewelry, furs and cash, however, our agency has many carriers that offer Scheduled Personal Property Packages at a nominal cost which will increase the standard coverages and offer additional insurance for those special holiday gifts. Please call us to learn more about this valuable coverage.
It is important to remember, not everyone has bad intentions, but you should still keep a watchful eye and practice responsibility when it comes to your valuables. Have an excellent New Year.
Source: Florida Peninsula Insurance Company